Deadline: 1 May 2014
Open to: students from the countries that have agreements with Latvia (listed HERE)
Scholarship: 500 EUR (Bachelor and Master), 670 EUR (PhD) per month
The State Education Development Agency (SEDA, Latvian – VIAA) is a direct administration institution, subordinated to the Ministry of Education and Science. In accordance with bilateral agreements on co-operation in education and science, VIAA offers Latvian Government Scholarships for bachelor’s and master’s studies at the universities in Latvia. Tuition language at Latvian higher education institutions is Latvian, but there are also a lot of study programmes offered in English (more information HERE).
Scholarships are granted for a time period up to 10 months (for PhD-students – up to 11 months). If a student wants to continue her/his studies in Latvia for one more year, she/he has to apply for the Latvian scholarship again. The Latvian scholarship can be awarded not more than for two consecutive terms to one individual.
Scholarship for master’s studies in the study programmes of Latvian philology, Latvian literature, Latvian culture and Latvian history can be granted for two academic years, i.e. for the duration of master’s study programme.
In general, the academic year in Latvia lasts from September 1 to June 30.
The amount of the Latvian scholarship for studies is:
- for bachelor’s and master’s students – EUR 500 per month;
- for PhD students – EUR 670 per month.
Applications for bachelor’s and the first level of professional higher education studies will be accepted from students who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies (at their home HEI or at a Latvian HEI if they already have been studying in Latvia) at the moment of application (latest April 2014).
Only citizens from countries which have signed an Agreement or offer scholarships for Latvian students can apply for the Latvian government scholarships: Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bulgaria, China, Croatia, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Republic of Korea, Lithuania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan.
Citizens from countries that offer scholarships for Latvian students, researchers and teaching staff without formal agreements on co-operation in education and science are welcome to apply for the Latvian scholarship as well. These countries are: Austria, Denmark, Germany, Iceland, Japan, Norway, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland, USA.
The following documents are necessary to apply for the Latvian scholarship for studies:
- 1.Application form;
- 2.Europass CV;
- 3.Letter of motivation (also including activities outside studies related to study field);
- 4.Certified photocopies of diplomas, including diploma supplements or equivalent documents or a transcript of records ( if studies are not finished yet);
- 5.Two letters of recommendation of the academic staff dated not earlier than six months prior to the date of submission of the application;
- 6.A letter of the relevant Latvian HEI confirming the possibility to study in the chosen study programme and the language of studies (Latvian or other EU official language). Please contact the International Relations Department/Unit or Foreign Students Department/Unit of the Latvian HEI directly; List of contact persons in the Latvian HEIs
- 7.Study or academic work plan for planned duration of receiving a scholarship;
- 8.Certificate or other document certifying the language proficiency required for studies;
- 9.Copy of passport.
The application deadline for study stay is 1 May 2014.
Contact person: Ms Aija Jakovica, Telephone: + 371 67814331, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information visit the official website HERE.